W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: The Slightly Surly Digest: Morrissey at The Mann.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Slightly Surly Digest: Morrissey at The Mann.

[WARNING: Curmudgeonly Rant Ahead. Detour NOW to Avoid!]

I think I'm getting old.

Let me rephrase. I know I'm getting old, but maybe I'm becoming a stick in the mud. The Magic of Morrissey is officially gone.

I went to the show with two friends of Dax, who were very sweet but waaay too into Morrissey for my personal comfort. One of the girls disappeared the second we sat down so she could claw her way to the front row (by the way, we were not in the front row after all. I think the purchaser thought "Row O" was in fact "Row Zero". I have no other explanation. They were still great seats though). I told them I'd be in the back by the bar. With my head on the..oh never mind.

He opened with Queen is Dead, which was really great. After that he stopped, paused, and said "Art, art, art." and then I said "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy." And then he proceeded to sing something I can't even remember.

Unfortunately most of the show was all stuff I would skip on my iPod if I were kichensinging. And speaking of kitchensinging, he changed words a number of times to fit with the current political climate, like 'Tories' to 'Republicans' and 'television' to 'Fox News', which I found mildly irritating, not only because it's a cheap applaud, but also because I love singing along and I felt like a jerk because I wasn't getting the words right! I am a lyrics freak, and Smiths/Morrissey lyrics are an achingly close second favorite to the empathetic lyrics of Belle & Sebastian, especially the ones about lonely, precocious unattractive girls with escapist fantasies who wear sensible shoes. Don't mess with the lyrics, man! Got it?!

And that is all I will say.

Speaking of which, I purchased my tickets to New Zealand today! Yay!

*NEWS FLASH*
Would y'all mind casting your vote for The Canary (you know what it's really called...and if not, email me to confirm) in the MyFoxPhilly Best Businesses 2007 Awards? Thanks! And leaving a comment about how "Fabulous" our stuff is would be icing on the cupcake! xx.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't checked the blog in a while but thought I'd pop in. Laughed out loud at this one! Who the hell thought row "O" was front row?!?! Inexcusible. I'm hoping the little one (not KG) was the one who went down in front. Yeah, last concert I went to I felt old. I've basically accepted that I need to listen to music in my rocking chair with the record player playing while I knit a scarf to wear while I watch Lawrence Welk. So, so sad.

7/24/2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger Morrissey said...

you got a fan in here as well- check out the pics on my blog!

7/24/2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger unPC lesbian said...

Oh Morrissey is just sooooo last century....she says running out the door to get tickets to the Joe Strummer Bio movie.

Now Wanda Harland is polling on ideas to entertain you when you are here and I say you have to go to this place in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.laketauponz.com/taupo/scenic/lake-rotopounamu.html

You then finish off with a glorius soak in the Tokaanu hot pools, ot book in to the classic but dated and retro Rainbow Lodge and use their pools

7/24/2007 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home