W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Busy as a Cat Burying Shit.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Busy as a Cat Burying Shit.

Fifty (50!) pounds cat were delivered to me this morning. Guinness Girl, on her way to her wedding in Florida (Congrats! xx!), dropped off Alex and Biscuit, with another 50 pounds of food and litter in tow.

These are some big ass cats.

But Aunty Oy will pamper those little bastards with treats, brushies and of course the privilege of sleeping in my bed and watching Top Chef tonight. And maybe sampling some of the pizza I plan on ordering later to celebrate their arrival.

-----

I did an obscene thing today. My laziness knows no bounds. I popped a chocolate mayo cake into the oven and five minutes later realized I'd forgotten the sugar. I do this more times than I'd like to admit when I make this cake. I think it's because it's a one bowl recipe and I stop thinking and just throw whatever ingredients I remember into the bowl, stir the sucker up and throw it in the oven.

I pulled the cakes out, poured the batter back into the bowl, stirred in the sugar and put the batter back in the same pans and put it back in the oven.

It worked. I lost a little height, but damn it worked! Now if I ever caught one of my bakers pulling a stunt like that...

----
Inspired by this, I wrote an article on Aussie and Kiwi desserts. Whenever I write these types of articles I usually end with a few sentences of local slang encouraging my readers to give the recipes a try. Aussie slang is some of the funniest I've ever heard. Garbologist, bush oyster, freckle, goog, mystery bag...

I think the number of slang words they have for 'drunk' and 'anus' might beat the Brits'.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving Top Chef.
Can't wait. Wish it were on EVERY NIGHT.

4/05/2006 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it too, but I wish it had a little more of what "Hell's Kitchen" had (similar show on Fox). There was a little more focus on the food and the preparation and a little less on the personalities. I want to see them actually doing the cooking more on this show (but still love it!).

4/05/2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

Can I ask what a mayo chocolate cake is?

4/05/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

Whinge & Dax: I just watched four hours straight. It's pretty accurate, stress- and attitude-wise. That's why I hated working in restaurants. I'm enjoying the personalities aspect to it. maybe because the food making part doesn't quite have the magic for me as it does for people who don't work in the industry. "You tool! You douchebag!" I LOVED that. She'd never get away with that in a real kitchen, but it was still fun to watch.

Martha: a choco mayo cake is a warbride recipe, like anzac biscuits - no eggs. Made with mayonnaise instead! It's delish - really moist, really easy to make and REALLY forgiving. I can send you the recipe if you want.

4/05/2006 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home