W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Blast From the Past.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Blast From the Past.

Last night I had a shindig and J, my best friend from junior and senior years in high school showed up unexpectedly.

"oh. My. GOD!"

We hadn't seen each other in eight years. It was totally wild because she pretty much looked the same, but with longer hair and oddly enough, taller than I remember. Maybe I've just become shorter as I've become more decrepit.

She kept in contact with more people from our crazy high school than I did and mentioned how this guy that we both had this crush on (hers was major, mine was more ancillary, but still) ran across her path in DC and now he's a Flaming Republican.

It really is a pity when the cute ones cross over to The Dark Side.

I'd recently been going through some old pictures of The Kairos Retreat*, and I came across one of KK and had thought how he was still so my type. KK was sooo laid back and sooo cool. And sooo real. He had all the makings to be The Artful Loner. And, harbinger of harbingers, he was the one who introduced us to The Fountainhead which spawned the subsequent My Year of Objectivism.

I had a blast listening to her tales of crossed paths, rumors about blow jobs in backseats, out of the closet stories. Totally fascinating.

We were closest during high school, but our freshman years in college we still hung out because we both came out to school on the East Coast. About a week after I started at Sarah Lawrence**, I was ready to leave and Bryn Mawr and Barnard were at the top of my transfer list so I spent a lot of time in Philly with J.

"Remember when you bashed that guy over the head with a poster tube at the Morrissey show?"

I swear I do not remember buying a poster at any Morrissey show. That's the weird thing.

I (still) have a (/n unfair) reputation for being the devil on my friends' shoulders. Just ask Wilman.

Long story short, I was rejected from Bryn Mawr. I don't remember my personal statement but it would be no surprise if it had been about the dynamic convergence of my life, some Smiths song, Camel Lights and The Fountainhead. This was no doubt a blessing in disguise as I think I would have gone bananas there. Or become a Flaming She-Devil Feminist Type. ** Barnard was a much better choice.

* A 3-day Jesuit-induced cultist retreat for small groups of seniors that involved praying, crying and becoming BFFs with the people in your group for about a month. Reveal of the Day: I grew up Catholic, but converted to Judaism eight years ago. How'd you like how I slipped that one in there?

** Yes, there is such a thing as Fundamentalist Liberals.

4 Comments:

Blogger -R- said...

It is definitely strange to run into people you haven't seen for years. I like finding out what happened to people, but it is hard when you find out cool people have gone to "The Dark Side." =)

6/25/2006 2:35 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

Dude, don't worry about Wilman. He knows, deep down, that I am my own devil on my shoulder. ;)

6/25/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

PS, I'm so glad your party went well and hate that I had to miss it! Can't wait to hear all about it over wine in person! Thank GOD you didn't give up drinkin', too.

6/25/2006 5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so great to find old friends, and it never ceases to amaze me how well they know you still...even after a gap in time.

6/26/2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home