W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: I Shouldn't Be Watching This Show.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I Shouldn't Be Watching This Show.

That's what I say every time I turn it on...yet I can't look away....

Watching I Shouldn't Be Alive is an awful, horrible, gut wrenching experience...yet I just can't get enough.

I watched two episodes with one eye while writing some foodie shit today. One was about a pair of mountain climbers in Alaska who get stuck on the side of a mountain called Avalanche Alley for 8 days and the other one was about 4 guys whose plane crashes in the Sea of Cortez (a popular destination for ISBA-ers) and they float while gripping an empty cooler for 18 hours while giant squids ("Rojos Diablos") swim around them ready to eat them whole at any moment while one guy swims for 18 hours straight, gets accosted by a school of jellyfish, runs into a barrier reef 100 yards from shore, steps on sea urchins, and has to turn around and swim for another 12 hours to find a couple of Mexican fishermen who think he's a drug runner and refuse to help him at first?

Whenever I watch this show, I usually end up curled up in a ball on the couch, chewing my nails to nubbins. If there were a little video recorder in my person, it would show the adrenalin surging through my veins and my heart beating faster and faster as my coritosol-er dumps more and more of that shit into my blood.

And then I weep when the helicopter picks them up.

And isn't it always a little nerve wracking when the helicopter first finds them and they're waving their life jackets or backpacks or whatever like mad and the helicopter turns around and they are so disappointed? But just you knows it's coming back even though they don't, even though they're narrating the show so they definitely survived but they don't know it yet in the story? You know what I mean.

God Bless TiVo.

3 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Every time I see "I Shouldn't Be Alive" in the channel guide I make the joke in my head, "Then you probably shouldn't have a TV show, either!" And then I laugh in my brain even though it's really not funny. At all.

6/14/2006 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that show. Every episode I am wondering 'how in the hell are they going to get out of this'?!?!

6/14/2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger -R- said...

If I was in one of those situations, I would never survive. It is not even a question. I would just see the squid, and that would be the end of it.

Squids (is the plural squid or squids) eat people???? I am so glad I live in Minnesota sometimes.

6/15/2006 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home