W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: And You Thought My Cats Got Smushed, Right?

Sunday, April 30, 2006

And You Thought My Cats Got Smushed, Right?

I'm baaaaccck!

And I'm OPEN. EEEK!

The past two days have been crazy. I opened the shop soft (no adverts, didn't even tell friends) on Friday so we could get into the swing slowly. On Thursday the health inspector came by to give the green light. That was some serious nerve rackage, good god. Turns out I need to replace an existing sink and add more sneezeguards to an existing wall (sigh...), but I've got six months to do it.

As soon as we got the go ahead, we started baking. And we baked and baked and baked. Friday we opened quietly, did a crazy amount of business from just walk-in traffic and the other vendors checking the new joint out. Saturday we did even better. I've got absolutely no complaints.

I could get used to this entrepreneur thing.

After I closed last night, Dax took me out to Ansill to celebrate. Wow. Totally excellent non-freaky tapas (I'm a baby when it comes to sea creatures. I'm from Chicago. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.). Then we bought some amuse bouches from the WaWa (Starbursts and Oreo ice cream sandwiches) and came back and caught up on America's Next Top Model. What an upset! Enh, Nnenna's a bitch anyway. Next elimination: Sarah.

Oh yeah, Buh Bye, Stephen. Don't let the door hit you on your pompous ass on the way out, Oenopunk. And for the record, I thought it was completely unfair and heinous of the chefs to make them put on a wedding for 100 people in 16 hours -- when they didn't even know that was the gig when they created the menus. What would they have done if the Scotts had gone with Tiffani's 100 indi cakes? Insanity I say!*

It feels really weird after all of these months to finally be up and running.
Woo hoo!

I am pitiful. Already thinking about a vacation. A friend invited me to visit her in Dubai this summer. But, enh, I think I'll probably be in the mood for something a little less adventurous this time around. And less hot. I just wilt in the heat. My idea of a good vacation is going to a foreign city and reading in coffeeshops during the day and getting some drinks and decent fare in the evening. Checking out the grocery stores, the cosmetics stores, the shoe stores, the candy stores....that's my mai-tai-at-the-poolside sort of vacation since I burn easily. And I can't stand laying around.


*And also for the record, I concede that the use of cake mix in the box was the best use of their time, especially considering the inevitable communal coronary that occurs whenever anything cake-related pops up in their challenges. Fine. They still had to make the ganaches and buttercreams. Fine fine FINE.

4 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

Really? I don't think it would've been too challenging to chuck together a nice cake. Their problem seemed to be that they were kiind of prepared too early, so a lot of the food sat around. I loved the wee truffles they did.

Come to New Zealand. It is lovely here - although winter for the next 6 months or so!

4/30/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

Yahooo!!! I'm so pissed the Circus isn't open on Sundays, so that Wilman and I couldn't stop by and see you (very selfish of me, since I'm sure YOU needed the day off!). I cannot, cannot wait to stop by and see you! xoxoxo

5/01/2006 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the opening! Yay!

And I was SO HAPPY that Stephen got out. Fantastic choice.

5/02/2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

Martha: Only if you take me to Modor.

Whinge & GG: THANK YOU!!!! And GOOD RIDDANCE, Stephen!

5/02/2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home