W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Video Killed the Radio Star.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Video Killed the Radio Star.

One of the least favorite things about opening up my shop has been the publicity element to it. It's a necessary evil (see yesterday's post!), however, and sometimes a girl's gotta give some face time to the media so that people will buy her cupcakes and make her rich so she can retire young and write cookbooks from her second home in the South of France.

Anyway, yesterday was the birthday bash!! (if you will) for the place where the Cathartic Cat Cupcake Factory* will be located and yours truly was in charge of making the birthday cake and samples of CCCF's products. Sort of an introduction of CCCF to the peeps. My chance to meet and greet the good people of Philadelphia and convince them to buy my cakes.

It was a bit of a media circus (oh, I am soooo exaggerating, but work with me here). There were cameras, dudes with lights and mikes and those fluffy duster-looking things they like to walk around with.

Dude from the radio (AM that is) wants an interview with me.

Caught off guard, I told the guy the reason why I named my bakery what I named it was because "I have a bit of a monkey fetish".**

I freakin' said "I have a bit of a monkey fetish".

Dude sorta looks at me sideways and says "Can we say that on the air?" Ha ha.

Needless to say, I got a hearty laugh and a collective "No you di'nt!" from friends last night about that.

Then I drank a goodly amount of wine with the strangest group of people: two architects (one of whom's mom used to work in a sapphire mine), a sculptor, a yoga instructor, a lawyer, and a blacksmith.

Oh and the icing on the cake is that my therapist happened to be there yesterday and watched the whole spectacle. She insisted that I was calm and composed and appeared to shmooze comfortably. And that's why I pay her the big bucks.

And on a completely different note: Morrissey was questioned by the FBI about his anti-Iraq sentiments. What is this world coming to?

*ahem...

**you'll only get it if you know about my shop. Otherwise, for the sake of anonymity, sorry, folks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yay! Congratulations...am expecting to see you on Food Network any day now.

2/23/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

Thank you! Funny you should mention the Food Network, Whinger. A cake baker friend of mine got a call from them yesterday. I'm so very very jealous.

2/23/2006 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could hover in the background with say, a t-shirt that says, "I make better baked goods!"

I'm sure that's normal and would not be the least it frowned upon.

2/23/2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

OV, I CANNOT believe you said the monkey fetish line. Hilarious! I'd love to read about that in the paper tomorrow. Heh.

Too. Damn. Funny.

And, PS, I suspect you'll be on the food newtork one of these days, and hopefully you'll need an assistant to taste and comment on the goods.

A la "This cupcake is....the entire first season of Felicity!"

2/23/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Cupcake reference? Felicity reference? Those are the two loves of my life!

2/24/2006 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home