W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Oh Forgetful Me.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Oh Forgetful Me.

I realized that I've been remiss in telling y'all about my wine class.

Oh good god, is it fun. By the end of this course, our instructor says we should be able to look, sniff and taste a wine and be able to tell what varietal it is. That is freaking awesome to me, as I really have barely a clue about wines. I know I like Syrahs and Vouvrays but that's about it. I usually pick by the look of the label. But now that I am armed with some knowledge, I feel much more confident about walking into a Pennsylvania Wine & Spirits Shoppe and making a smart purchase.

Last week was really cool. We learned about Sauvignon Blancs - Old and New World varieties. That cat pee smell in Sauv Blancs? That's the pyridine, a chemical compound that breaks down in sunlight: Old World Blancs (European) allow the grape leaves to cover the grapes, leaving that heavy cat pee pyridine scent intact; New World Blancs (The Americas, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia) trim their leaves, allowing the pyridine to disintegrate, which gets that tarty, fresh and fruity shiny taste to come through. We sampled ten Blancs. It was freaking fantastic.

Ok, I know I'm boring you. I'd be boring me too if I didn't love this class so much.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, where the F have I been? Where is this wine class? I must take it!

10/02/2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

I can't wait to do some serious wine tasting with you and your new found skillz.

I hope you've been watching Flight of the Conchords and practising your accent.

10/02/2007 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home