W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Woulda Shoulda Coulda. (Warning: RANT)

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Woulda Shoulda Coulda. (Warning: RANT)

You know, you really should ABC.
You know, you need to XYZ.

I think you could EFG.

Next time, call me, because I can LMN much better.


Everybody loves to be a backseat business person. Or a backseat therapist.

People are constantly offering me unsolicited advice about two major areas of my life: my business and my divorce.

I won't discuss the divorce part of it because I've already talked about that and frankly I think it's just human nature for people to try and be kind and supportive by being sagely and such because they really don't know what else to say. And sometimes the dirt is just plain juicy, and it's admittedly fun getting vicariously involved in someone else's screwed up life sometimes. Not a big deal, really, I'm pretty much used to that. And now that my head is screwed on straight again and I'm relatively sane now, I'm not getting as much of that anymore anyway. So.

But it seems that no matter how much I have it together (or think I do. Maybe that's the problem right there? I'm an absolute basket case and don't even realize it? The pie-eyed ladything trying to (oh chuckle!) run a cupcake company? Isn't that just about the cutest thing you ever did see?), people are constantly telling me what they think I need to do about any and all aspects of my business.

At first I rather enjoyed the advice. After all, I am doing this all by myself and outside opinions are important and can't be overlooked. But even once I started becoming more confident in my business decisions, I found the "Oh, no, you need to [fill in blank] instead of [fill in blank] because ...." hasn't stopped one iota.

Obviously this annoys me. Lately I've been trying to remember that people prattle about shit they have little to no practical experience in is because they're excited about my business and a small part of them even would like to put their mark on its success too. Which is cool. But really and truly it does get old. I can't even begin to count the number of people who've basically told me that I'm doing/did XYZABCLMO plain old fat WRONG. Or at the very least should be tweaked considerably. No kidding! Stuff that they know nothing about.

I just wish that these people could step in my shoes and do what I do for two weeks straight and then come back to me and talk to me about what I could have done better. Two weeks. Fuck that, two days. How about two days? This is, no doubt, the hardest job I've ever had in my life. Opening a business is entirely all-consuming and I'm not sure that people really get that. All of the details! I take responsibility for every single goddamn detail related to my business. And yeah, sometimes I fuck up, make mistakes, overstep, misstep, overshoot, forget, remember too late, overpay, forget to pay, don't get enough quotes, get buried in paperwork, forget to sign a check, forget the cinnamon, choose the wrong color, put on a dirty t shirt, break a dish, come in late, leave early...I'm learning as I go. As we all are.

But all I can tell all you backseat entrepreneurs is that I'm doing my best, which isn't the greatest, but certainly isn't the worst.

So come on, wear my shoes and then we'll talk again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least they are moving the piano.

I think you are doing great and that you are an amazing business woman. I am so impressed with what you have accomplished and are continuing to accomplish. I would have no clue how to run a business. You're pretty darn impressive to me. No advise from me, I'll just sit back and enjoy the cupcakes, thankyouverymuch.

10/29/2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger MiMaw said...

You go girl! Give 'em hell Harry! Sounds like you're doing pretty damn good. Someday I hope to try one of them thar cupcakes... one of the 747's sounds good about now.

10/30/2006 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home