W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: New York Post.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

New York Post.

I had a fabulous day in New York. Took the Chinatown Bus (from Philly Chinatown to NYC Chinatown for a pittance) instead of driving. The Chinatown Bus is pretty much the intersection of Broadway and Canal in bus form. Enough said.

I spent the day with J at the tea shop, sampling teas and yammering about suchandsuch. I think I had, no exaggeration, 12 cups of tea over the course of 5 hours. Green tea, white tea, black tea, hot, iced, lattes…the whole kit and kaboodle. Needless to say, I was BuZzInG. I chitchatted with her customers while she made them drinks. I think I was talking really fast too. It’s so much fun being at the front of the house. I’ve been in the kitchen too long. It’ll be nice to socialize at work for a change. After J’s, I walked around the East Village, ye old stomping ground for four years, taking pictures, and then headed further downtown.

I love walking around New York. Do I miss it? Yes, of course. But having been gone for almost a year at this point, I can honestly say I don’t miss it enough to come back permanently. Unless housing costs drop drastically. But I think the only way that would happen is if there’s another terrorist attack and the city is obliterated, which would sort of defeat the purpose of the whole moving back thing in the first place.

On my way back to Chinatown, I stopped in Astor Wine & Spirits’ new digs just down Lafayette from the old place. Yowzers. A Discerning Boozer’s Shangri-La. The place is tremendous. It’s got Henri Bendel merchandise at Target prices. Sort of. Anyway. But the most wonderful part about it is that the people who work there know what they’re talking about as far as the wines go. And because I know shite about wine I find this much more appealing than the Post Office style of customer service that the Pennsylvania Wine and Liquor Shoppes offer.

I decided to try on a new kilt and pick out a scotch that I hadn’t tried before, but I really wanted to take advantage of the place and find The Scotch Guy for a recommendation. I knew there had to be at least one Scotch Guy there. But alas, he was stuck helping some wino customer and I had to rely on a backup guy, whom I quickly realized had no idea what he was talking about, because he kept mispronouncing kindergarten-basic Gaelic buzzwords and tossing the word ‘peaty’ around like a flaming potato. I’m sure he assumed I was looking for some stupid old scotch for my curmudgeonly uncle as a retirement gift and thought I wouldn’t see through his shabby façade. So I shooed him away and chose an Islay, Caol Ila, whose description sounded appealing: ‘Never widely available and not as pungent as some of its neighbours, Caol Ila combines an ummistakable ISLAY CHARACTER with sublime drinkability.’

Anyhoo, I’m frickin’ exhausted. The Bussetting Lifestyle may do me in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love wine, but am the queen of trying to find a wonderful bottle for under $8.

I think it would be difficult to extend this same goal toward Scotch.

4/12/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

I give myself the $10 and under rule. It gives me a little more leeway in this tax crazy state.

I would not attempt that rule with Scotch. I won't spend less than $40 a bottle for fear of the world's worst headache.

4/12/2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home