W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Lucy, Peter, Susan, Edmund: PsyOps for the Right Wing?

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lucy, Peter, Susan, Edmund: PsyOps for the Right Wing?

My childhood has been wrecked.

I must have read The Chronicles of Narnia a dozen times between ages seven and 13. I loved those books. I felt so grown up reading this series - what was it? a good 1200 pages of pretty tiny print? Yeah, I was a precocious little twit.

Not until very recently did I realize the raging debate - is it a debate really? - over the Christian themes running through those books. Was my fundy stepfather trying to brainwash me or was it really just a proto-Harry Potter adventure story? I never thought about anything Jesus-y when I read them. And besides, Aslan was the lion and weren't lions supposed to eat the Christians?

AND I heard on a Beeb newscast that C.S. Lewis has two sons: one's a completely secular "spiritual but not necessarily Christian" dude and the other's an Orthodox Jew. What gives?

I feel so...soiled.

Maybe that's why I went through a brief phase of wanting to be a nun when I was nine. Those brainwashing bastards. Screwing with the mushy moldable minds of younguns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home