W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Discussions of a 601st Post (alt. title: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: You Decide.)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Discussions of a 601st Post (alt. title: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: You Decide.)

I think I may have finally perfected my mac and cheese. I have been working on this project for years and it's just never quite right. In My Utopian World, mac and cheese is adult-oriented and multi-cheesed (equal parts triple creme, a sharp cheddar, with noticeable pinches of something blue (Montagnolo, Blacksticks Blue) and something funky yet approachable and British (Gloucester, Leicester, Cotswold)). The pasta and cheese should not be dry or gummy, but smooth, rich with a cheesy finish with no curdling (that's the chunky grit you get in improperly baked specimens). It may or may not be made with a roux. The product should be baked and have a crunchy yet not too thick skin, preferably with breadcrumbs. Bacon and dijon are always nice touches. However, any vegetable or flavor accoutrements should be thoughtfully-placed grace notes that accentuate the cheese and pasta, and should never ever take center stage.

This current iteration, baking as I write, contains onions, portobellos, and sundried tomatoes. It has five cheeses, and is topped with bread crumbs and slices of bacon. I will let you know if it turns out. I'm holding high hopes for this one because I've added a secret ingredient: one can of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, mixed with sour cream, whole grain mustard, chili flakes and lots of black pepper. I'd open the oven and tell you how it's coming along right now, but Ernie is sitting in front of it enjoying the radiation right now and I can't disturb him.

****

I was riding my bike home today and a 15 year old boy screamed "Hey! Your thong is showing. HEY. Your Thong is Showing! HEY! YOUR THONG IS SHOWING."

At least I can still get their attention.

***
Bad or brilliant idea? Two of my bakers do not get along. The tension is fierce. Tomorrow when they are both working, I plan on sending them to the Beer Garden with $20 for 30 minutes to work out their shit. It would work with guys mos def. And seriously, I have not interest in playing drama ref, so why not, seriously?

4 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

You might need to give them a couple of hours, beer takes a while to work its magic...

Happy 601st post!

3/13/2009 3:17 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I say go for it on the drama coaching.

And your mac & cheese sounds delish, but I'm kind of a purist for it to be called "mac & cheese." The main cheese must be cheddar. I usually have a half onion which was minced and sauteed in butter in there as a flavor booster, a splash of Woucestire and a dab of dijon. Usually no breadcrumbs and usually a little bit of cayenne in and especially if there are breadcrumbs, cayenne on top. The secret though is that more often than not, rather than use a roux, I grab the Campbell's Cream of Chicken. Works great! No grit...uber tasty.

3/13/2009 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making me so hungry! That sounds YUMMY! Although to call it Mac&Cheese is such an understatement! It sounds more like gourmet cheese casserole, or something fancier. (Oh my God, I LOVE Cotswold cheese!)

Maria in Oregon

3/13/2009 7:53 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

It actually turned out pretty damn good. Very tasty, but needed more Campbell's soup given the amount of pasta. I also should have chopped up the bacon before throwing it on top. Will re-do in near future. It is an ongoing process!

3/15/2009 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home