W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: My Faith in Humanity is Ever So Slightly Restored.

Monday, June 16, 2008

My Faith in Humanity is Ever So Slightly Restored.

About a year ago, a young guy came up to me on the street near the Circus in tears, saying his wallet got stolen, did I have any money for bus fare, etc. etc. I gave him some money and went on my way.

Then a couple months later he came up to me again, with totally different sob story. This time I walked away. Turns out that was his thing, to walk around the Circus in tears trying to get bleeding hearts to give him cash. I knew several people he'd done this to.

(Mind you, I am not a completely heartless wench. I just don't like being scammed. Especially when you are a perfectly able-bodied 18 year old who is obviously intelligent enough to make a living scamming. You know?)

Anyhoo, on Saturday he came to The Canary to apologize and make amends for what he'd done. He gave me $10 and told me he was doing a My Name Is Earl thing (my words, not his) (he must be in NA), has a job now and just wanted to say he was sorry for what he'd done. This was how he was spending his stimulus check. It was one of the nicest gestures I'd seen in a long time. This is, no doubt, what George Bush had in mind when he came up with the whole stimulus check thing. I'm sure of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Really? Good for the Former Scammer!

6/18/2008 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home