W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Sadness is Anger Turned Inward.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Sadness is Anger Turned Inward.

Tonight a friend had to confront another friend about some shit and she was wicked nervous about the prospect of having to deal.

I understand this feeling completely. How do y'all gear up for these things?

There was this guy in college, The Irish Tenor, who had a bizarre love square going on...(dating three girls who all knew each other at the same time...it was an impossible, horrible situation that was just not going to turn out well...for anybody. Stupid stupid Irish Tenor. Remember that folly, Dax? Umm, AWKWARD!). Anyway, the way that he got up the courage to dump Girl #1 was to turn on a wee bit of Pantera, get plastered and punch a hole through the wall to get his endorphins going.

Personally, my M.O. is to chainsmoke six cigarettes, flip on some Israeli trance, attempt to think out every possible scenario between myself and Person in Conflict, and then chainsmoke six more cigs. And then depending on the type, level, and length of conflict, either take a) some calmes forte, b) a valium or c) a shot of whisky immediately prior to said confrontation. Of course I'm never actually prepared for the real scenario no matter how much thought and substance I put into my end of the situation and I usually end up either hemming and hawing or I give in to the other person even though I'm kicking myself inside my head for not sticking to my guns and being a person who stands up for myself.

I'm such a pushover. I should be the last person in the world giving advice about standing up for oneself. Forget everything I told you, XXXXX. Except for the Tom Collins part.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember indeed. It really was amazing it went on as long as it did. I think they all kept it on the DL because they didn't want to boast to the others that they were the one who finally got him. Little did they know.

I hate confrontation. Sometimes I wonder why I went into a profession that is made up entirely of confrontation. It doesn't always mix well with my need for everyone to think I'm fabulous. The battle in court is actually fine, it's the more 1-on-1 confrontation dealing with my adversaries that I dread. I have chosen a "more flies with honey" approach and swear to god I do better for my clients than some of my confrontation-loving colleagues.

7/11/2006 11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OV, I did alright in the end though didn't I? Oh ye of little faith...I deserve more credit! (of course I give the Gin what credit it deserves...) looking forward to the elephant in current residence at the canary tomorrow. hooray. who needs a drink? *slap*

7/13/2006 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, but I suppose you asked a question about how we usually deal with that stuff... well, before I would also have chain smoked...put on some rasputina...kidding...put on talk talk's It's my life...chain smoked more, imagined how clever I was going to be etc...then gone and done the damn thing...you know, until I started feeling bad and totally giving in and comforting the person that I intended to confront. Now though, I don't smoke...so none of that, still the Talk Talk...still the imagined wit...but now usually try and stick to my point...followed by an inevitable period of self loathing and nausea...you know, 'cause I'm such a hard ass. Oh, did I mention anything about GIN?

7/13/2006 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home