W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Projections, Bar Graphs, Pie Charts, Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate Futures and All That.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Projections, Bar Graphs, Pie Charts, Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate Futures and All That.

I met with my accountant today for advice on selling The Canary.

(Audience gasps followed by dramatic pause.)

...

But it's good news, people! She looked at my numbers and believes in the viability of the business, more specifically, of the Canary concept. In fact, she said that the change in numbers between 2006 and 2007 was really really good, and while I still took a loss in 2007, it was actually quite small - and a huge jump from 2006's loss.

But she also said that the only way to make real money in this business is to have several locations. Oy! But she's confident that the concept can work and it will just take time. It's only been two years (though it seriously feels like an eternity and two years). She told me to stop being so hard on myself. These things just take time. We also discussed the possibility of business partnerships in this venture. Anybody out there wanna invest in cupcakes - and a really cool logo?

I feel much better after speaking with her about this. I know how to make a mean cupcake but I don't know jack about financials. It was nice to hear positive feedback from someone who does.

My To Do List: Raise prices, get online purchase presence, sell t shirts online, research location for Canary II.

Addendum: I just spent $200 for brownies and cupcakes mailed to our home so I can take a gander at the packaging. Research is by far the best part of my business. Will keep you "posted" hardy har har...



4 Comments:

Blogger L P said...

"get online purchase presence"

Please put this toward the top of your to do list. I need to order things now.

- Lou

5/06/2008 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree- I have a list of things I'd loved to have mailed to me ASAP- as soon as you are ready to go, please post it on your blog- I'd love to order from you.

5/06/2008 10:48 PM  
Blogger Shana Maidel said...

I'd love to give you feedback (get it?) on how your brownies and other yummies taste after travel to the Westchester burbs. Feel free to use Baby Daddy and me anytime for market research on the matter.

5/07/2008 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to shoot myself in the foot or anything, but as someone who visits the Canary pretty regularly, I do think you could raise your prices. Your cupcakes and brownies are underpriced!

On another note, I recently had someone mail me brownies from Maris in NYC and the packaging was excellent--a pretty long orange box. The brownies were miniscule, but that is another story....

5/07/2008 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home