W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: If everyone had a blog as an outlet, there would be no more war.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

If everyone had a blog as an outlet, there would be no more war.

I am in a crotchety mood.

My Top Sixteen Pet Peeves

1. People who say "Gimme", or "I'll take", or just "Cupcake."
2. Leaving leftover Indian food out overnight.
3. Philadelphians.
4. People who wear their aprons into the bathroom stall.
5. Extended channel surfing.
6. Slow walkers.
7. Having seven hunks of half-used butter in the fridge but opening up fresh packages out of laziness/convenience.
7. Overcooked vegetables.
8. Face paint and football jerseys.
9. Unsolicited "Ya know what you should do? You should..."
10. Misuse of the word "less" instead of "fewer".
11. Underseasoned food.
12. Chewing sounds.
13. Crocs, cowl necks and shawls/ponchos.
14. People who say "That '91 Pommard was like mother's milk".
15. People who use the phrase "mother's milk" as a figure of speech.
16. Scotch with ice.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused about the "less" v. "fewer" thing. Can you illustrate with some context? I'd hate to think I'm not speaking correctly, since I have a bachelor's degree in English!

Oh, I totally agree about slow walkers, especially when they're in Walmart, and are wide enough to take up the whole aisle. (Is it politically correct to dislike large people? I can't help it.)

10/31/2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

Use fewer if you can count it, less if you can't - like "fewer calories" (correct) vs. "less calories" (incorrect but why in god's name does every commercial use it like that???! Drives me buggy!). Less fat! Fewer calories!

I really should have put slow walkers ("idlers") at the top of the list they annoy me so.

10/31/2007 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I like cowl necks and shawls. I do not own either, but I like them.

11/01/2007 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying!

Another thing I hate, and you might agree: People spelling night "nite" and light "lite." Kids will grow up thinking that's the correct spelling!

11/01/2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

Lara: ...!

Maria: Yes, I agree that is annoying. Going even further, my ex specified that I NOT send texts using text abbreviation of any kind. It bothers him that much ("We were married for 8 years! You can't spell out 'probably'?). He also pointed out that I own a BlackBerry with a full keyboard so abbreviating is just lazy. I have to agree actually.

11/01/2007 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny! I don't mind "official" abreviations, like "etc." (Who actually writes "et cetera" these days anyway?) And I don't mind ones that are pretty obvious. But I'm a stickler for spelling correctly.

You know what you should do? You should post a picture of your cute cupcakes! (I phrased it like that on purpose!)

11/02/2007 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home