W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Holier Than Thou.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Holier Than Thou.

I had a Curb Your Enthusiasm moment yesterday.

I was standing in line for the bathroom at the Circus. One woman was in front of me. All the stalls were occupied except for the handicapped stall. I asked the woman if she was waiting for a free stall.

"Yes."
"That one's free," I said, pointing to the handicapped stall.
"No. That's for wheelchairs."
After looking around for the hidden cameras, I said, "There's no one with a wheelchair in line...?"
"There might be."
"I'm just going to pee, not take out a mortgage in there."

Actually I didn't say that last part, but did I cut in line ahead of her to use it.

I had no idea that there were actually people out there who believe that the handicapped stall is exclusive to people with wheelchairs. Is it just me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

And also? Why should a person in a wheelchair NEVER have to wait in line to use the bathroom? I say, if you want to have equal opportunities (and they should), you have to take the good with the bad, even if that means tolerating the stench of a public restroom for a couple extra minutes while the person ahead of you pulls up her pants.

5/17/2009 1:42 PM  
Blogger Shana Maidel said...

if the baby's with me, i have to use the handicapped stall to fit the big ass stroller. i've seen women using the bathroom with the stroller in the doorway and the door open! no thanks, my friend. i can wait!

5/17/2009 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Daximus said...

You are 100% right. I had a friend in law school who used to narc on people who parked in handicapped parking spots without the little tag, so I asked her what she thought of people who used handicapped bathroom stalls, and she said that it was totally different, because the handicapped bathroom stalls are wheelchair ACCESSIBLE, not reserved exclusively for wheelchairs, like parking spots.

5/18/2009 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Lara said...

This has happened to me before - SO ANNOYING. Actually, at the Tower Theater I was chastised by an employee for using the handicapped bathroom. Hrmph!

5/28/2009 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home