W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Mother Always Said Don't Let Your Hard Drive Get Lupus.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mother Always Said Don't Let Your Hard Drive Get Lupus.

Crikey what a weekend!

Friday night my trusty, dependable little laptop decides to give up the ghost. I brought the still warm carcass to Springboard Media on Saturday morning. They tried to resuscitate it, but to no avail. So now I am the owner of a quite lovely yet unexpected new MacBook. Unfortunately, however, those adorable Springboard nerds could only retrieve a pinkie finger's worth of the data that was on my old hard drive.

Springboard Nerd: "I could only get A through H. Up through Hollies. I tried to get Revolting Cocks and Thrill Kill Kult but there's a padlock on that data."

Me: "Oh, that's ok. No prob."

Springboard Nerd: "When I saw that, I said to the guys, 'Don't you remember Ministry?' and the looked at me blankly. I tried to retrieve the data. But I just couldn't."

Me: "Really, that's ok. I'll live."

I thought this was ok, since I was pretty good about backing up photos and music on an external drive, but alas, I discovered that I had not, in fact, been backing up any of it at all. Which means 400+ albums are sitting on a fried hard drive and only retrievable by a tedious $400 data extraction. Not to mention all the priceless photos. Oh. Why. Didn't. I. Make. Sure. I. Was. Backing. Up. Where. I Thought.

Oy. Oy. Oy.

On Monday, we went to a bbq at Lara's and poor Ernie almost got his face ripped off by a friend's dog. Everyone was playing nice and then all of the sudden, horrible dog noises and Ernie's head was in this large dog's mouth and he was screaming and the big dog wasn't letting go. He got a lump on his head, a bloody ear and a bloody mouth, but he is fine.

In fact, he had a internist appointment today anyway, so I made sure the vet checked out his battle wounds. Turns out, in addition to the immune-mediated polyarthritis he has, he has also been christened with glomerulonephritis. We still don't have a firm diagnosis as to why he has these conditions, but all things point to something auto-immune. He basically has lupus, people. My pug pretty much has lupus.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely Chester was not the Ernie molester... right?

And thanks for the reminder I need to be more diligent with my data. It is easy to assume that nothing will happen- in fact, I have been counting on it.

5/26/2009 9:56 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

BACK IT UP.

And no, it was not Chester. Chester is incapable of hurting a flea.

5/26/2009 9:57 PM  
Blogger Shana Maidel said...

OY VEY! All of it sucks!

5/27/2009 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Lara said...

That was so awful! Ugh. I'm so sorry!

5/28/2009 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home