W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Canary Chronicles

Friday, May 25, 2007

Canary Chronicles

Have I mentioned our latest hire at The Canary yet?

There is an ongoing debate as to whether he is a Hobbit or a satyr.

He is about 5 feet tall, has a moppy head of strawberry blonde hair and a goatee. He wears his jeans rolled up well above his ankles and sports brown suede Birkenstock sandals, both of which make his feet look huge and his legs short. He is currently in massage school and he smells of patchouli, which drives me insane. I must remember to talk to him about it. He looks very much like the picture of Mr. Tumnus, though his ears don't stick out horizontally and he doesn't have the lower body of a goat. But the facial hair and bone structure are eerily similar.

Two interesting pieces of evidence:

1. A couple of weeks ago I got a voicemail from Master Scout, who used to work at The Canary informing me that "that guy who everyone says is from Middle Earth? Yeah, well he's doing cartwheels in front of my house right now." This strikes me as fundamentally Hobbitish behavior.

2. Yesterday I asked the being what his plans were for the evening. He said that he had gotten hold of some bamboo and was going to make a flute out of it. Hobbits don't make flutes from bamboo! But satyrs play lutes. Maybe he did say "lute" but I didn't hear it correctly. Or maybe he was trying to throw me off the trail.

Perhaps he is a Pan/Hobbit hybrid. Perhaps he is a different magickal species altogether. Hard to say.

Tomorrow as a guise I will ask everyone which they like better - The Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings and see what he says. I will keep you posted.

*****
I lost my poached Internets connection at my apartment so I've been MIA for a few days. Thanks very much to those of you who have written me good wishes. Big hugs to each of you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT?!? That is very wacky, my dear.

5/25/2007 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I look nothing like a Hobbit, this guy at work has nicknamed me Hobbit because I snack at regular intervals throughout the day. I have elevensies, twelvsies, twosies and foursies. (Hypoglycemia. Slim all my life. Eat all the time.) At first I was offended because I thought he was referring to the size of my feet!

5/25/2007 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. This is brilliant. And yeah, the cartwheels were a bit much to see.

5/26/2007 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home