W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Celebrate! Dance to the Music!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Celebrate! Dance to the Music!

Oh shit. Did I just quote the Doobie Brothers?

(No, Oy. Three Dog Night. That's almost as bad.)

In any event, a little celebratin' is in order.

My sign is up! Hurrah!
My phone is working! Hurrah!
My equipment is being delivered tomorrow! Hurrah!
Did a magazine interview and I didn't flub it! Hurrah!
All of the people I hired want to work for me even though it's taking forever to get the joint up and running! Hurrah!

And a good friend bought me a lovely bottle of Oban, which I am presently enjoying as I type.

And if I couldn't get any of y'all to enjoy scotch before, this oh-so-tantalizing description of Laphroaig might....eggs, plastic, and burnt sticks. Can't get much tastier than that!

Aroma: Intense nose, well integrated and complex. (straight) Peat-smoke first, accompanied by a chemical-floral scent (like aerosol spray), then a deep fruitiness (melon balls, nectarines, over-ripe plums, boiled sweets, Cinnamon Balls, brand of sweets); some scorched wool.

(dilute) With water, the scent becomes more smoky and tarry - tarry rope and Lapsang Suchong tea. Slightly oily.

Flavour: The mouthfeel was mouth-cooling and pleasantly dry. The primary taste was surprisingly sweet to start, then a smoky interlude with a hint of salt and a sweetish finish, but with a firm peat-smoke 'catch'. The overall flavour was of burnt sticks.

Development: Its phenolic character reduces over time, to be replaced by heather and cereal notes, with some plastic. Flavour remains iodine/smoky to start, then mash tun, then eggy.

Trust the chef. It's scrumptious and addictive.

7 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

mouth-watering. Mmmm.

Well done with the business (I originally wrote "wit da bidness", but the kiwi accent couldn't work it). So when is opening?

3/14/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

hopefully in 3-4 weeks, knock on lots of wood. all that's left is waiting for my cabinets and tile to arrive and then set-up time for it, pretty much.

'wit da business' sounds very philly!i can't even imagine what that sounds like in a kiwi accent.

3/14/2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO psyched for you.

Well done.

3/15/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

free cake for all blogging buddies!

but you must give the secret code when you come by, call or order via the internets: Bloginatrix.

3/15/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

Well, well, Miss BLoginatrix - it sounds to me like things are going well! Congratulations and a big hurrah to you! Can blogging buddies have free brownies, too?

You described your scotch as tasting like "balls." Snicker. (OK, so they were "cinnamon balls", but that's not as fun to ridicule).

3/15/2006 12:42 PM  
Blogger Oy Vey said...

sweet jesus, that's not my description. if i could review like that i'd have a whole new career before me! screw baking!

3/15/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Yayyyy! So excited for you, and can't wait to hear about all your new adventures. I like reading about baked goods almost as much as I like eating them. :)

3/15/2006 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home