W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Expectations.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Expectations.

Got back from the Narrows show tonight.

Surrounded by scores of fellow popgeeks, Oy Vey was definitely in her element...oh yes. Witty t-shirts and expensive glasses was the clear uniform of choice and accesorizing was obviously extremely important. I spotted a woman carrying a funky clear plastic MoMAQNS bag with the latest issues of Harper's and The Paris Review in it - I kid you not. If I'd known there was going to be a contest for Most Obnoxious Liberal Hipster, I would have sported my NPR tote and dogeared October Utne Reader. Oh well!

And there were plenty of cool handbags and hats around. It was definitely inspiring wardrobe-wise. Anyway...

We got there in time for The Polyphonic Spree. Fun, catchy, entertaining to be sure. Loved the empire waisted Lady Gwendolyn sleeved dresses the girls wore; gotta score me one of those. Very flattering on all figures. They really got into it which was cool, I suppose even if it was a little Jesus-y for my taste. After a while the Koresh-indie-Godspell shtick got a little grating, but nonetheless a fun show. And clearly, they were enjoying it.

After TPS, the crowd get crowdier. People were hyped. B&S was going to play! People were talking up a storm: "they haven't played here since '03!" "I hope they play something from Waitress!" "I'm soooo psyched!" And we were.

What happened, guys????

Now, everyone who knows me knows that I don't usually harsh on my pop peeps. I adore B&S, and it really takes a lot for me to even remotely criticize them (and that's coming from me! The Queen of the Kvetch!). But it just didn't work. Something was off.

From the get-go, Mick's fracking mike didn't work, which was a big fuck-up considering the fact that the guy's trumpeteering is an integral part of the whole B&S thing, IMO. It didn't get fixed until the very end, which was too bad because - and I'm just surmising here- that they may have had to change their set because of the shitty sound? I don't know. The Wrong Girl wasn't right.

Uh oh
, I thought. The crowd just was sort of standing there. It was actually kind of eerie and a little weird.

It just wasn't happening. There was no Zen Thing going between band and crowd. Honestly, guys, you didn't seem all that into it? A woman standing next to me even said she'd be having more fun at home listening to the cds! Now, I won't go that far. After all, I got to sing with the gang - and it wasn't in my kitchen! I was thrilled y'all were there.

I REALLY hate to say this, but I was a teeny weeny disappointed. The set started off on the wrong girl/foot/whatever, and it sort of sagged until midway through; I thought the Happy Birthday Beans thing was cute, but I don't think many people got The Warriors reference. Ending with the up-tempo Judy was really great. But I found myself holding my breath until that trumpet solo came through crystal clear like it should. That was the best number by far. It was just too bad it came at the tail end.

After the show, I heard some hissing and booing. Hissing and Booing, can you believe it?! The bastards! Yikes! Even Bojack admitted to being a little disappointed - to the point where he was actually bop-bop-bopping to Gin Soaked Boy in the car on the way home! Eeek!

So, I'm going to chalk this experience up to two things: bad sound crew and jetlag. Low blood sugar, maybe? I'm a little bummed, but I did like the new tunes. Looking forward to getting a good listen again sometime.

I'm not a big fan of the Emoticon, but if I were to use one right now at this very moment, it would somewhere between :( and :/.

:) :P

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved. this. post.

10/03/2005 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home