W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Moi, Toi, et VoI: Update: Nouvelle Vague

Monday, September 12, 2005

Update: Nouvelle Vague

Last night's Nouvelle Vague show: if you don't know, the shtick is that a couple of French girls (although one of them was definitely not last night) sing new wave songs to a bossa nova beat. But the twist is that they allegedly don't know the songs to begin with, so it's supposed to be a nouvelle interpretation of some classic alt-indie 80s songs. I was skeptical to say the least.

How one could not know some of these songs -- even if you are a zygote -- is beyond me. Just Can't Get Enough, Melt With You, Love Will Tear Us Apart? Come on, MELT WITH YOU?! The only thing I kept picturing in my head was this: the two Men who 'handle them' must keep them locked up in cages in the dark with little food and water; their sole source of stimulation is when The Men pass them song lyrics through their cage flap and they can't come out until they come up with something. Or unless they are performing. In which case, I assume they are watched very very carefully. They cannot be contaminated.

Well, it seems that my little fantasy theory may in fact be true after all. After they played their entire album less one song, including Just Can't Get Enough, they were hauled off stage by The Men (my interpretation). Applause, encore! Encore! So they slink back out, return to the mikes and sing that last song that was missing from the original set: Bela Lugosi's Dead. Yikes! I wished I were dead during those 4 minutes of pure unadulterated hell. And then for their final encore song, they played Just Can't Get Enough. Again. Apparently they were tapped out. Finito. They actually don't know any other songs. They indeed did get enough. And so had I.

And on a similar note, because of the sheer amount of sweenster/NPR press, it seems that the whole of Philly is Clapping Their Hands and Saying Yeah these days. I say Naaah. They are so over. They should take a page from the Rick Astley Story or The Season of the Shawl. We Got Enough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home